Q May a school district act as an immigrantís H-1B (temporary worker in a specialty occupation) sponsor? As sponsor, may the district pay the attorney fees associated with the application?

A Yes. The district must comply with the applicable federal laws if it chooses to hire immigrant workers, and would be responsible for paying all processing, including attorney fees, related to approval of the H-1B application. A foreign employee may be granted H-1B status for up to three years, with a possible extension of three more years. (Attorney Generalís Opinion to Logan, dated May 11, 2012)