Q The county has acquired a vacant lot in a subdivision in order to gain access to a creek to perform drainage repairs. Is the county required or authorized to pay private homeowners’ association dues for this subdivision?

A Payment of homeowners’ association dues for a vacant lot acquired for the purpose of access for drainage services serves no legitimate governmental purpose, and is not authorized. (Attorney General’s Opinion to Adams dated November 4, 2011)