Q May a municipal judge enter an order setting a day or days that people may pay old fines and some percentage of the fines will be suspended?

A Yes, provided the court complies with the provisions of Section 21-23-7(5), which authorizes a suspension of a sentence or portion of a sentence. Please remember that without some specific statutory authority, state assessments may not be suspended if the court imposes any fine or other penalty. (Attorney Generalís Opinion to Nowak dated August 26, 2011)