Q Does a constable get paid for serving a summons if he takes it to the last known place of residency and the person no longer lives at that address? What if the person is no longer living?

A No. The Attorney General has consistently opined that a constable only gets paid for serving process when the process has been successfully served. Under Section 13-3-5, service by posting must occur at the defendant’s “usual place of abode,” not “last known address,” and service may obviously not be had on a deceased person. (Attorney General’s Opinion to Goliday dated September 9, 2011)