Q Can a municipality employ a security firm to provide a security guard at a city park on a part-time basis in the summer months?

A A municipality is authorized to hire a security firm/security guard to provide security at municipal parks, in addition to police protection generally provided by the municipal police department, pursuant to the municipality’s home rule powers under Section 21-17-5. (Attorney General’s Opinion to Mitchell dated June 3, 2011).