Q May a municipality refuse to accept out of state personal checks for traffic fines?

A Yes. Section 63-9-12 requires a municipality to accept personal checks from Mississippi residents for payment of traffic fines, but is silent as to out of state residents, so the municipality has the discretion to accept or not accept them. (Attorney Generalís Opinion to Thames issued February 11, 2011)