Q Our sheriff’s department has obtained ownership of a truck through forfeiture under the Uniform Controlled Substances Law. A district supervisor wants the truck and is willing to reimburse the sheriff’s department for the amount of a lien still on the truck. May the truck be transferred?

A While the sheriff’s department may transfer the vehicle in accordance with Section 41-29-181, the statute does not require payment from the county to the sheriff’s department. The board may amend the sheriff’s budget at any time, however, in its discretion. (Attorney General’s Opinion to Lee, Jr., September 27, 2019)