Q Several years ago a resident was found guilty in justice court of several misdemeanor offenses. The judge allowed the defendant to work off some of his fines. Since the disposition of those cases, a dispute has arisen as to the time worked as well as how much was toward the old fines. If it finds the justice court records are incorrect, can the board of supervisors direct the justice court clerk to change, modify, and/or alter fines owed in justice court by a defendant?

A No. Administrative duties are under the authority of the board of supervisors, while actions of the clerk, with respect to matters in the courtroom, are under the authority of the justice court judge. The fines due on a case heard by the justice court judge are determined by the justice court judge. (Attorney Generalís Opinion to Clark, July 10, 2019)