Q Our city suffered the loss of two police officers, and they will be honored I Washington, D.C.. A request has been made for an officer to attend the ceremony with each family to represent the fallen officers. May the city pay their travel expenses to attend?

A Reimbursement for travel expenses may only be made to a municipal employee for required travel in the performance of his official duties pursuant to Section 25-3-41. The determination as to whether a municipal employee is actually working in the performance of his actual duties is a factual one to be made by the municipality. (Attorney Generalís Opinion to Melancon, February 15, 2019)