Q Assuming the requisite factual determinations are met, may a municipality pass an ordinance that regulates the times and dates that yard and/or other waste may be burned outdoors?

A A municipality may regulate open burning by ordinance so long as the ordinance is not in conflict with state law or any corresponding regulations regarding same. The Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality must defer regulation to the municipality and approve the ordinance. (Attorney Generalís Opinion to Sutton, September 21, 2018)