Q May the town reduce the outstanding unpaid water bills of the affected commercial accounts that were underbilled due to an error by the town in setting up an automated water meter reading system?

A No. A utility debt may not be adjusted or forgiven when a customer has received the benefits of the utility service, regardless of a municipalityís error in billing. (Attorney Generalís Opinion to Frieson, September 7, 2018)