Q May a constable hire a police officer (on duty or off duty) to serve justice court civil papers and then the constable turns them in with his signature as the server? The constable pays the officer to serve them, and then receives payment from the justice court for service.

A No. In order for the constable to receive a fee for service of any civil process in justice court, the process must be served by the constable. The “return” on the process must be signed by the constable serving the process verifying that such process was served by him. (Attorney General's Opinion to Prestage dated August 28, 2009)