Q May the board lawfully allow a private, unincorporated association to use county property for a temporary, recreational purpose?

A Yes, Section 19-7-3 governs the general authority for a county to lease real estate belonging to a county. The county must determine the property is surplus and comply with the mandates of Section 19-7-3(3). The surplus designation may be for a temporary period of time and may be leased out until needed for a governmental purpose. (Attorney General’s Opinion to Snowden, September 1, 2016)