Q May a municipality collect monthly bills from the customers of a rural water association?

A No, no specific authority exists for a municipality to collect monthly bills for a rural water association. The municipality has “home rule” authority in Section 21-17-5(1) to take certain actions involving municipal affairs. Section 21-25-51 authorizes a municipality and a water association operating within the municipality to cooperate and to contract with one another by way of an interlocal agreement for the purposes set forth in Section 21-25-51. Arrangements between the municipality and water associations not operating within the municipality would be inconsistent with Section 21-25-51, and, as such, would not be within the purview of the municipality’s “home rule” authority granted in Section 21-17-5. (Attorney General’s Opinion to Gibson, July 22, 2016)