Q May an alderman live outside the city limits of the city in which he holds office and remain an alderman receiving a monthly paycheck?

A If a majority of the board of aldermen determine, after a fair and impartial hearing, that a member of the board is no longer a resident of the municipality or ward he was elected to serve, but has abandoned such residency with no intent to return, a vacancy would have to be declared and such vacancy filled in the manner prescribed by law. While official actions taken by the board while this alderman is participating are lawful acts, an alderman who has abandoned his residency within the municipality has no right to and cannot claim the compensation or fees of the office. (Attorney Generalís Opinion to Thurman, October 23, 2015)