Q May the County pay for the damage done to a driveway or other property outside the right-of-way when the damage is done by the County while maintaining a public road?

A Yes. If a Board of Supervisors makes a finding, consistent with fact, that work must be performed in order to maintain and protect a county road or county right-of-way and damage occurs to private property in the course of this work, the Board is authorized to reimburse the landowner for the damages resulting from the work performed by the County or the County may take the necessary corrective actions to make repairs to the damaged property. (Attorney Generalís Opinions to Quimby, January 23, 2015)