Q The Mayorís house burned several months ago and, while he still owns a house in town (in which a relative resides), he announced that he had purchased and temporarily moved his family into a house in another town. Is there a time limit for temporarily residing outside the district? Can the board declare the Office of the Mayor vacant?

A There is no time limit for an elected official to temporarily reside outside the jurisdiction he was elected to serve. Pursuant to Section 21-3-11, a municipal Board of Aldermen may declare the Office of the Mayor vacant and call for a special election to fill that vacancy provided it determines, consistent with the facts, that the Mayor has abandoned his residence in favor of another with no intent to return. Prior to any such declaration, the Mayor must be afforded adequate due process with an opportunity to be heard on the matter. (Attorney Generalís Opinion to Griffin, October 24, 2014