Q May the town deny individuals water services because of a delinquent water bill with an outstanding amount at a previous address?

A A town may deny an individual water service because of a delinquent bill with an outstanding balance at a previous address. The municipality may provide, by ordinance, that before any account may be “transferred” the account must be paid in full and may deny services until such condition is met. (Attorney General’s Opinion to Custom, July 25, 2014)