Q May a municipal employee request payment for unused vacation/personal leave time during the year? Must the town pay for that unused vacation/personal leave time or can the town require that it be used?

A A municipality may pay municipal employees for unused leave prior to termination or retirement but only if the municipality has previously adopted a policy which authorizes such payments and the payments have ben lawfully budgeted. Whether the current policy provides for such pay or whether an employee can be required to use the leave is a matter left to the interpretation and discretion of the governing authorities. (Attorney General’s Opinion to McCaughn, June 27, 2014)