Q May a municipality conduct drainage repair work on private property in an effort to mitigate flood risks?

A Under Section 21-19-13, a municipality is authorized to perform work on private property to prevent erosion and flooding with the permission of the land owner, provided the appropriate factual findings have been made and the work is done for the purpose of mitigating damages. (Attorney General’s Opinion to Cashion, October 4, 2013)