Q Our town has a vacancy on the board of aldermen, and no qualified resident of that ward is willing to serve. What do we do?

A The town must continue to operate with the existing board, while continuing its efforts to find a qualified individual who will accept an appointment as an alderman under Section 23-15-857. (Attorney General’s Opinion to Wiggins, August 30, 2013)