Q Our school district wishes to close a public road that travels across school property. The county has offered to provide labor and equipment to relocate the road onto adjacent school-owned property. May the school board donate land for the new road, and may the school board pay for materials to be used in construction of the new road?

A A school district may donate land to the county for the purpose of building a public road if the school district complies with the statutory requirements in Sections 37-7-471 et seq. Pursuant to home rule and other statutory requirements, a school district may pay a county for materials used in construction of a public road if the school board finds that the relocation of said road would serve the best interests of the school, and any expenditures are in accordance with statutory requirements for the use of public funds. (Attorney General’s Opinion to Burton, August 9, 2013)