Q May the county sell trees from within the right of way of a road and invest the money received from the selling of the trees into the construction of the road?

A Yes. Counties have exclusive and full jurisdiction over their roads and bridges (Section 19-3-4, Miss. Constitution Section 170), and the county has the right to remove dirt or timber or do whatever else is necessary to maintain the roadway. In selling this timber, as with other surplus property of the county, the county must comply with Section 17-25-25, and the proceeds may then be used to maintain the road from which the trees were taken. (Attorney Generalís Opinion to Brooks, June 14, 2013)