Q If a homeowner remits payment in advance to the solid waste department for one year of garbage collection, but sells the residence before the end of the year, is the solid waste department obligated to refund any portion of this payment?

A A county may credit towards the payment of future garbage bills or refund to its citizens any overpayment that may have been made. After reducing the garbage bill in an amount consistent with the services the customer did, in fact, receive, the county may notify the customer of the overpayment and his right to submit a claim for refund. Upon a proper finding of fact, the board of supervisors is authorized but not required to refund the customerís overpaid charges for the garbage services he did not receive. (Attorney Generalís Opinion to Shepard, May 13, 2013)