Q May a city council member sell flood-prone real property to the city as part of a Hazard Mitigation Grant program?

A No. A negotiated sale of real property to the city constitutes a contract. The contract has already been authorized by the city council, and the council member would have a direct interest in the transaction, as prohibited in Section 109, Miss. Const. of 1890, and Section 25-4-105(2) of the Miss. Code. (Mississippi Ethics Commission Advisory Opinion No. 12-112-E, January 4, 2013)