Q May the municipal police department contribute a sum of money from its forfeiture funds as matching funds for the construction of a community center on municipally-owned land? The police department anticipates using the facility for a police presence at events, for training events for which space must currently be rented, and for drug awareness programs.

A Drug forfeiture funds may be used for any law enforcement purpose in accordance with Section 41-29-181. If the municipal police department can quantify a portion of the use of the proposed community center to strictly law enforcement and attribute a dollar amount for such use, it may contribute the calculated amount from its forfeiture funds as “matching funds” for the construction of the community center. (Attorney General’s Opinion to Hollingsworth, November 27, 2012)