Q What legal authority may a reserve police officer have and what may he do if he has not graduated from the normal police academy?

A The only “reserve police officers” recognized in the state of Mississippi are either part-time officers certified in accordance with Section 45-6-3(d), or a “law enforcement trainee,” who is not certified and must be under the direct supervision of a certified law enforcement officer as per Section 45-6-3(e). While serving under such direct supervision, such law enforcement trainee may exercise the powers of a peace officer. (Attorney General’s Opinion to Barton, October 19, 2012)